Saturday, July 31, 2010

So What Have I Been Up To Lately?

There's been some more spare time on my hands these past few weekends than I've been used to. Yes, a new normal, for lack of a better term has set in, and there are probably a few friends and family members wondering if I'm becoming a recluse.

Well, recluse would have been a fitting term two weekends ago. I've been busy working on getting my coin collection better organized, getting some clutter taken care of, getting some projects done, some barbecuing, some reading.....actually, a whole lot of reading. What I haven't done is catch up on my DVDs though I may take in an episode of Hawaii Five-O later on this evening.

* * * * * * *

My reading selection has been short stories. Before my trip to Wisconsin I found in a used bookstore an anthology of science fiction stories written in the 1930s, and compiled by Isaac Asimov. I found myself amazed at how well written these stories are. Dr. Asimov included some commentary on these stories, as that these were his favorites when he was a young teenager working at his father's candy store. They influenced some of his writing style, and as I was reading one of them I was wondering if that's where he got the idea to have the team of Greg Powell and Mike Donovan field test robots in I, Robot. After that story he mentioned that yes, that's where that came from.

I finished that anthology some two weeks ago, and now I'm working on an anthology compiled by Alfred Hitchcock.

* * * * * * *

When I was in the sixth grade or so back in Titusville, Florida, one of my favorite places to visit was the local library, where I would check out books on a regular basis. I read lots of science fiction and lots of mysteries. I was particularly drawn to the recurring characters called "The Three Investigators", and these were presented by Alfred Hitchcock. My thinking is that he wrote them, but I may be wrong on that.

Anyway, one book that I checked out was "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me". I read all of them save for the last one, which was a novel at the very end of the book. I started that story, but never finished it. It had something to do with fireballs falling from outer space and landing in the ocean. My dad read that book too, and said that that last story was the best one of them all.

Some time ago, within the past year I'm sure, I had a dream where I got hold of that book again so that I could read that one last story. Yes, it got away from me, and when I would visit bookstores I would look in the mystery section, hoping that this long out of print collection would return.

I then forgot about trying to find it until a few weeks ago. Someone put the bug in my ear that maybe I could find it on amazon.com, and sure enough, there were several used copies available from various used book dealers around the country. I selected one, ordered it, and it quickly arrived.

It's really interesting re-reading some of these stories again as an adult, some 37 or so years later. Some of them I remember well; the one I read today I didn't remember it until I got to the very end. I haven't yet gotten to that very last story, but I figure on getting there soon. I will finally get to read it, and I think I'll tell you about it when I'm done with it.

* * * * * * *

While on the subject of books, I found my original copies of the "Foundation" trilogy by Isaac Asimov. I had them all along; they were in the bookcase downstairs! Oh well, it's just as well that I was forced to re-purchase a few of them as that that's got me going again on the robots, the Galactic Empire, and the Foundation series. I am trying to get the last book I need for the "Caliban" trilogy, which was not written by Asimov, but word has it that he approved the outline before he passed away. That will at least fill in some of the "history" between the Spacers and the Settlers before the Galactic Empire came into being.

As you might be guessing, I find the concept of a long series of novels tied together to be fascinating. Once I'm done, I should probably read another trilogy that I've been meaning to do for some time: The Lord of the Rings.

* * * * * * *

Last weekend I wasn't a recluse, although I wanted to be one. I went out and renewed some friendships last weekend, and there are a few folks out there that I need to touch base with. I have a standing invitation to share dinner and company with a good friend of mine who spends half her time in Tucson and the other half in Cochise County, and I really should give her a call tomorrow.
* * * * * * *

I learned of the deer tag drawing results two days ago. Todd and I were drawn for antlered mule deer, the middle hunt, and in the very unit that was our top choice! You have to select five "hunts" to apply for, and I'm pleased that we got our top choice. It's down by Willcox, which is some 75 miles or so from here.

Once the monsoon season winds down, we're going to try to get in some scouting runs. We've seen muleys north of I-10 before, halfway between Willcox and Safford. That was from a state highway, and of course they weren't in season.

* * * * * * *

Starting two days ago, it's been legal to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona without a permit. I've been reading the newspaper and listening to the scanner.

We have not had any shootouts, nor have we had an increase in people wanting to pick fights with someone else so that they could shoot them.

What we have had is some protests over SB1070, and no one got shot at the protests either.

* * * * * * *

And speaking of SB1070, it's been largely nullified by a federal judge. As is usually the case with a law that an overwhelming majority of the population is in favor of, a minority segment of vocal malcontents go out of their way to find a judge who will short-circuit the process of legislation and enactment.

In other words, the will of the people be damned.

* * * * * * *

One argument against SB1070 that its critics like to cite is that it isn't right for a state to enforce federal law.

Well......consider this.

A sheriff's deputy stops a car for speeding down the county road. He has probable cause to search the trunk, and asks that it be opened. He finds that the speeder has a suitcase stuffed to the gills with counterfeit $100 bills.

Should the deputy simply cite the driver for speeding and then send him on his way, since counterfeiting is regulated by federal law, which a state has no business enforcing?

* * * * * * *

The Tucson Unified School District has announced that they are not going to enforce immigration law. In their view, they don't want to be the eyes and ears of law enforcement.

If that's the case, then how come they don't raise similar objections when the state wants them to report suspected cases of child abuse to the authorities?

* * * * * * *

The next time you're on the interstate, please drive in the right lane, and use the left lane for passing.

It's the courteous thing to do.

It's also the law in some states.

No comments:

Post a Comment