Monday, July 5, 2010

On the road in Coralville, Iowa

We are now in Coralville, where my aunt Marge, uncle Tony, and cousins Kirk and Todd and their families live. Kirk and Todd have done very well with their families. I feel somewhat embarrassed upon admitting that it's been six years since I last saw them. I really need to get here to the midwest a lot more often than I have been. Perhaps next year I should do a long weekend here in Iowa, flying into Des Moines. Marge and Tony know plenty about family history and I feel the need to learn as much as I can.

Lynette is not doing very well; she's had the same nagging cough that I have had for the past four weeks, though mine is at the end. I'm thinking that we might have to go to an urgent care tomorrow morning. We have done a lot of running around on this trip and that can't be helping matters any. Yesterday we were at her brother Larry's up near Waukesha, almost a two hour drive to get there.

Marge and Tony are doing very well and are in very good spirits. Kirk, Todd, and their wives had some questions about the border situation in Arizona. Kirk didn't waste any time in telling me that he supports that new law (SB1070), and I do too. No one has a problem with legal immigration. We need every good American we can get our hands on, and those who come here via legal means are an asset. As I told Kirk, his wife, and the rest, the federal government isn't doing its job, and that's why Arizona passed this law. Oh well. Enough about politics.

Again, I need to do better at getting out this way.

Tomorrow I think we'll take a longer way to get back to Roscoe. I've heard tell of an Amish community here in Iowa, and I'd like to detour thru there on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment