Friday, July 2, 2010

Checking in from Roscoe, Illinois

I am here in the middle of "flyover" country.....where the skies are blue, the hills are rolling, the grass is green, and cornfields seem to stretch in all four directions. We are staying with Lynette's sister Luann, and her husband Jerry. Our flight into Chicago was without any adverse events, which is good, and our stay here has been great!

Roscoe is about three miles south of the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. Clinton, which is where Lynette grew up, is about three miles north of that line. We were over there meeting her parents. I found them to be very nice people, and I have a better understanding now of where Lynette got her "niceness" from. I think if you were to meet her that would be one of the first things you notice about her.....that she's nice, and she tends to brighten up the room around her. As I told Lynette's mother yesterday, I feel very fortunate to have found her.

Today we were in New Glarus, Wisconsin, a small town that's very Swiss. It was settled by a group of Swiss colonists and the town today reflects that heritage. We ate lunch at a Swiss restaurant where I enjoyed a bratwurst roesti and a local beer called Fat Squirrel. It was quite the meal, and I probably shouldn't have had all those carbs, so I think I will have to go out for a walk later on this afternoon/evening when it's cooler.

On Monday, if plans hold, it's off to Coralville, Iowa where we will visit with Aunt Marge and Uncle Tony. My cousins Todd (not the one in Gilbert) and Kirk, their sons, live there too. I don't think our stay there will be as long as I would like but that's how it is when available time off from work doesn't grow on trees.

I can understand why Lynette misses Wisconsin. The scenery is neat, and the people are real nice.

The midwest is a great place to be from.

No comments:

Post a Comment