Thursday, December 31, 2009

Almost to the End

In about twelve hours or so it's going to be a New Year here in the Mountain Time Zone. I have nothing special planned for tonight. What will happen is that I will have a mostly quiet evening here at home, save for some firecrackers and an "artillery shell" that I'm going to light off when the big moment comes.

Funny thing is, is that I'm not lighting these fireworks out of celebration. I'm lighting them because this is one of the two nights each year that I can get away with lighting fireworks. Fireworks aren't legal in Arizona, not even sparklers, but people who've made the drive to Lordsburg and back to visit the fireworks stores that are open year 'round have them. And plenty of people do have them. I've seen lots of bottle rockets go up each 4th of July.

But getting back to the New Year, it's rare for me to be out on New Year's Eve. The last time it happened was at the end of 2003. I was up in Tempe with some friends to catch a BTO concert, and afterwards we were invited to a private after show reception at their hotel. We chatted with them until about 3:00 AM, after which it was time for everyone to turn in.

And as for celebrating the New Year, I just don't do it. It's not that I have anything against it. It's that I can't see what the big deal is. Sure, I'll reflect over the events of the preceding twelve months, and I might even contemplate what lies ahead. But I don't celebrate it, and I don't make resolutions either. The way I see it, if you need to do something to the point of making a resolution, you should make the resolution right then and there and not wait until the 31st of December of that year you happen to be in to make that resolution.

As for 2009, I got to do some things I wanted to do. I had a high point, and I had a low point. Life goes on, and that's what's important.

* * * * * *

I returned to Tucson two days ago. Trip mileage going to San Jose was 850.1 miles, while returning was 885.4 miles. I took I-10 going in and I-40 coming back.

I really like the scenery along I-40. For stretches it parallels the old US66. At some point I'd like to drive the old 66 back. I'd like to have a babe with me if I ever get to do that.

As for the babe, well, I'm working on that.

* * * * * * *

I think that's going to be it for right now.

See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment