Sunday, August 2, 2020

And Some of the Other News

It's been a rough couple of days, but there are other items that I feel the need to talk about. 

These past two weeks have seen some overtime (paid) at work.  My project is understaffed, our customer has lots of things they want from us, and that's because their customer wants those things.  There's no doubt that the program manager both at our end and at the customer end know that we are going beyond where we normally go and they're just as swamped as we are.  The effort is very important in my mind, and the teamwork has been awesome.

I've had a couple of discussions with the deputy program manager.  He appreciated the patience that we've all had, and I told him that he told us it was coming and we braced for impact.  I put in a couple of long days getting what's called the Master Verification Matrix done, and I learned Friday that I was nominated for an award, which means a lot. 

This weekend we have a breather.  I tried going on the air yesterday and I made some contacts, but my heart wasn't in it.  The news about Moe hit me really hard.  I spent time with him yesterday and again today, and there will be more this evening.  Every evening I am upstairs with Sheila and we are joined by Larry and Moe.  Both want attention and it was that way last night.

In one way I am at peace.  When I brought the boys home around Memorial Day weekend of 2007, I resolved that I was going to be a better owner for them than I was for Sylvia.  These guys would see the vet once or twice a year.  They were fed better food (Sylvia was on Science Diet but I learned that wasn't the best you could get) and these guys had premium food that had no rice or other grains mixed in it.  And of course, I spoiled them like I did Sylvia. 

When they go, if they get to talk to God, they will tell God that they had a great home and were well taken care of.  Maybe they might complain that there were a few more times that they could have gotten pets.  But on most days, they got to interrupt me from doing something so that they could get their loving.

What can I say?  I like cats.  I like dogs.  I never adopted a dog because I was between marriages for several years, and it wouldn't have been fair to whatever dog I would have taken in.  So it was cats, two of them to keep each other company while I was away at work, which they did, but I didn't think both of them would be as demanding as they turned out to be.  I thought Larry would be the wallflower and Moe would be the Lap Boss.  Wrong.  And being wrong like that is a good thing.

Yes, I'm having my moments.  The grieving has started.  It has to happen.  It has to run its course.  Grief is normal and it is necessary.  I've been down this road before.

That's all for now.  I need to get outside for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment