Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Home Sweet Apartment

On 11/24 I became a renter for the first time since 1991.  I signed a four-month lease, and I spent three days making visits to the apartment while continuing to rent the room that I had in the residence inn.  On Thursday morning 11/27, Thanksgiving Day, I checked out of the long-term inn and drove to Tucson for the annual customary turkey dinner.  On Sunday I drove back to begin residing in my apartment here in North Las Vegas, which is just a handful of miles from where I'm working.

I am still not yet where I want to be as far as living here goes.  For one, I've had to make several trips for supplies, such as pots & pans, groceries, cleaning items, toilet paper, wastebaskets, etc..  There's a lot of effort in existing.  One night it was Walmart Hell.......having to stand in a long line so that I could part with $100 for stuff that I need in order to support my existence.  The next night it was Supermarket Hell.............having to stand in a long line so that I could eat normal food in order to support my existence.  The next night?  Walgreens Hell, so that I could buy supplies that I somehow forgot to buy at Walmart, and to get behind someone who wanted to argue with the cashier about sale prices or expired ads or maybe even about the serial numbers on the dollar bills that he got back in change. 

Then it's Internet Hell, since Cox Communications decided to send me my modem via FedEx, where the package was promptly stolen from in front of my front door since I wasn't there during the day to sign for it, and then I had to go stand in a long line at their so-called "Solutions Center" to get a modem which the so-called customer service representative didn't want to give me since "we already sent you one by FedEx!".  A threat of cancelling the service changed his mind about not wanting to give me a modem, but the bastards at Cox do not provide you connecting cables so that you can use your modem, and their Technical Support has no idea why you would want a connecting cable in the first place.  So then it's back to Walmart Hell to buy the cable, and to waste more time in a long line because someone at Cox who is in severe need of a violent beating thinks you don't need to have a connecting cable supplied with the modem (have they hired a lot of ex-EarthLink people?)

Then it was Mattress Hell..........the process of having to buy a bed since the air mattress that I bought during Walmart Hell was murder on my back.  At least this wasn't so much of a Hell as the other Hells, but it still consumed evening time that would have been better spent relaxing, but something I couldn't do because of all the other Hells going on.

On top of that, I've been barraged by a lot of phone calls from people who think I have lots of free idle time to yak yak yok yok yibble yibble on the phone, when I really need some down time.  These are calls from people who know of me from my former employer who were laid off before I was, hoping that I can help them get into where I'm at now, and these aren't people I ever heard of in the first place........but they heard that I found work, and to be honest I can't blame them for trying to get back in the workforce..........but............I simply do not have 60 minutes of free time to waste on the blasted phone, when I really need that time to talk to Sheila.  Yes, my new firm is hiring, but I haven't been there long enough to have "street cred". 

Anyway............I now have a bed to sleep in.  I have pots and pans.  And I finally was able to cook my first home cooked meal in this place, which was a welcome relief from Fast Food Hell where you're always stuck behind some cretin who has no idea why he's there in the first place, and who has to ask the cashier thirty or forty questions about what a hamburger is or what a taco is and who invented it and then isn't sure if he really wants to eat something in the first place. 

And it's home sweet apartment...........being away from Sheila, the kids, my cats, and the comforts of a real home in Arizona where the City Council has absolute hatred for people who want to contribute to society.

No, I'm not in a cheery mood these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment