Friday, November 28, 2014

Back from the Trashcan

I left Las Vegas yesterday for a drive back to Tucson.  I spent my final night at the extended stay on Tropicana Avenue Wednesday night, which is obviously part of that giant traschcan that Bob Self was referring to. 

The drive from there to here or vice versa is about 8 hours.  There is some of the most beautiful desert scenery between Wickenburg and Wikieup along US93.  Between Kingman and the Colorado River, it's rather desolate.  Between Phoenix metro and Wickenburg it ain't the greatest but it ain't the worst either.

Anyway, it's really nice to be home again.  Although in a few weeks I'll be an official Nevada resident, I think in my heart Tucson will always be my home.  I can see living in Las Vegas for the next few years, but the more I think about the real estate market both there and here, the more I think I'll be keeping the house in Tucson to come back here to retire.  In the meantime I've signed a lease on an apartment in North Las Vegas that is ten minutes away from where I am now working, and I might end up liking it there a whole lot more since I won't have to deal with I-15 anymore on a daily basis.

I will leave Tucson early Sunday morning and try to make it back to my new digs while there's still some daylight left.  I need to get the air mattress set up (which will do for a bed until I buy one) and there are some things I will need, like food and supplies. 

As for my new job............it really is the neatest thing I've ever done in my life.  Already I am wearing more than one hat in my job.  Last week I was playing mechanical engineer one task for a day, and the next day I was playing materials science engineer  on another.  I've been researching history on some stainless steel items that will fly in space next year, and I had to sift through reports making sure that the steel was properly treated and processed for spaceflight.  When I return on Monday I'll be helping out with electrical verification.

Meantime, I am enjoying time with Sheila.  We met with the Pastor to plan our wedding.  We're trying to keep it as simple as possible, but there's still some work that has to be done for this.

The honeymoon will come some time later.  I can see where we might get a suite one night at one of the Strip hotels, and then drive US66 from Kingman to Flagstaff.  We've been wanting to do that for some time but life's events keep getting in the way. 

I'd like to think that things will settle down a lot once the wedding is behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment