Friday, October 4, 2013

Route 66! Part IV: Another Abandoned Gas Station

In my first post about Route 66, I mentioned coming across my "first" abandoned gas station.  You might think that was the Mohawk station detailed in this post, but it wasn't.  My recollection was also faulty as that I saw this gas station mentioned after I saw the Bottle Tree Ranch and not before.

I don't know what this gas station brand name was.  The colors are suggesting Gulf but I'm not sure if Gulf ever did business in California.  Regardless, this structure made for some interesting photographs.


From 11/30/11.  What brand was sold here?  Anyone know?  Also, note that the windows are intact, and reflecting perfectly the images from across the road.  This structure was behind a chain link fence and was posted for "no trespassing'.


Comfort stations, for both men and ladies.  I'm glad my camera had a zoom feature.  Photo taken 11/30/11.


On the 7/16/13 trip, I took a photo of the mailbox, mainly to establish just where on National Trails Highway that I was.  My guess is that this belongs to the house you see behind the restrooms, and that they also own the structure.


Here we have Sheila taking a photograph of what's across the street.  Yes, she gave me permission to post her photo!  I was delighted to learn on the day that I first met her that she was interested in journeys down old historic highways.  Yes.....she's a keeper!


On this one I was trying to capture my reflection in the glass.  So I sighted in my camera, and saw the upper half of my body.  Then I dropped the camera down some, took the picture, and later on realized that all I got was my noggin.  From 7/16/13.


This is what the road ahead looks like from here.  This photo taken 11/30/11.

What lies ahead?  At this point, on the 2011 trip, I knew that an adventure was in store for me; that there was more to come.  Onward to Barstow!




No comments:

Post a Comment