Friday, October 11, 2013

Route 66! Part VIII: Newberry Springs, Continued

Just a little down the road from the abandoned gas station featured in the previous post is an abandoned motel in Newberry Springs.  This structure, like that gas station, is not fenced off.  If you're going to go inside, be careful, as that when Sheila and I went inside there were some nails protruding upward from some wooden beams.  Also, you don't want to trip and fall down on something, which will become very clear once you see these pictures.

This series of pictures was taken on my 11/30/11 visit, unless specified otherwise.


Here is a shot of the old "MOTEL" sign.  I couldn't help but wonder what kinds of stories this place would tell me if it could only talk.


From the front, a view of this old relic.  It wasn't very large, and was likely a mom & pop establishment.


This is one of the rooms that I entered.  As I said, you have to be careful walking in here.


OK, I'm now wondering.  Why would anybody want to dump their trash here?  Are people making special trips to do this?


Inside one of the shower stalls.


A view of the kitchen.


Not sure what this is.  Living space of the owners?


The "back yard" of the motel.


This shot of the sign was taken 7/16/13.


This is a better view of the back yard, taken on 7/16/13.


Next to the old motel is the Bagdad Cafe.  The Bagdad Cafe used to be in Bagdad, but was long ago torn down.  Its reincarnation is pictured here on 11/30/11.  I have read where Harrison Ford drops by for a visit whenever he's in the area.

More of Newberry Springs in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment