Friday, October 4, 2013

Route 66! Part III: Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch and More...

Route 66 in its heyday was known for some interesting attractions.  There's the Cadillac Ranch in Texas where several Caddies are half buried at an angle.  A small motel chain with teepees to stay in.  A roadside restaurant where you can get burgers, tacos and "dead chicken".  And as I was to find out on my first journey on this old road to Barstow, this interesting collection of sculptures.

I didn't know what it was at the time.  On the 11/30/11 trip, I took some photos of it from across the road, and when I repeated this on 7/16/13 with Sheila, we got closer to it.  This time I knew what it was:  Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch.  I think this time it was open but we didn't go in.  Maybe next time.  Now on to the pictures.  As a reminder, if you click on any of them, a larger view will appear, with all photos of this posting as thumbnails below.

From across the roadway, 11/30/11.  I was thinking, what is this?


Another view from across the road, 11/30/11.


And one more shot from that day.


From the 7/16/13 trip with Sheila. We walked across the highway for a better look.


Now that I'm looking at this photo again, I'm thinking we should have gone in and looked around some.


Yes, we should have gone in.  Well, I'd drive this road again in a minute, and I'm sure Sheila's up for it too!


Another closeup of the Ranch.


North of the Ranch, heading eastbound 66, one sees this abandoned structure.  I had seen it and photographed it on my first drive down this road.  This photo is from 7/16/13.


Here's another one.  I missed this on 11/30/11, but not on 7/16/13.

Looking again at these photos is having the effect of making me more fascinated with this old highway.  Even though I've now seen this twice, I'm finding myself wanting to do this again next year.  I think though that the next stretch of 66 is going to be that segment between Kingman and Flagstaff, which is now signed as Arizona State Route 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment