Monday, September 20, 2010

On the Road....in Tucson?!

Greetings from the Coffee Xchange on Tanque Verde Road, near Camino Principal! Why am I here?

It's like this. A computer virus/malware infection surfaced on the home computer on Saturday, and after spending a lot of time yesterday trying to fight it I've decided to take it in. I'm taking a break from file backup to come out to the Coffee Xchange, so that I can download protection updates and at least keep the laptop as a viable option for maintaining what I can of being connected to that online realm we call "cyberspace".

My computer will be in the shop for a few days; they want to make sure that once the fix is in, that the fix really fixes the problem. At the worst I'm in for a complete disk wipe, at the best it'll be resolved quickly tomorrow.

* * * * * * *


On a more positive note, I placed an order for five copies of the new Bachman & Turner CD.

Yes, five copies.

One's for myself, and two others will be given as gifts to my housesitter/catsitter Barb and to my stepson Richard. That leaves two extra; hopefully I can get both those guys to autograph one of them if I can ever catch one of their shows.

They are playing in Coachella, California next month, where I can easily get to, but I'll be in Portland. Well those good people in Portland that I'm visiting are folks that I consider family, and family is more important. And Fred Turner told me several months ago that he thinks they'll play Arizona sometime.

* * * * * * *


I was about to report here that the monsoon season in southern Arizona is winding down. Rain is forecast for tonight, around midnight. We still have clouds gathering from the south and some wind gusts like it's about to start raining.

As it is, I think the monsoons are on the fade. This means that I can get some more outside painting done and perhaps a scouting run for mule deer down by Willcox.

* * * * * * *

Willcox is a small town along I-10 in southern Arizona. It's at a higher elevation than Tucson, and thus has different vegetation. You won't see saguaro cacti there.

Willcox is best known for its proximity to the Willcox Playa, which is where cranes come to visit, during the winter, I think. There's also an awesome pie place just north of I-10 that sells killer blueberry (and other) pies.

South of the freeway, on Rex Allen Drive, is La Salsa Fiesta Mexican restaurant, featuring New Mexico style cuisine. That comes highly recommended by two friends of mine and I will give this one the thumbs up too.

* * * * * * *


Willcox used to be linked to Tucson via the old Arizona state highway 86. A remnant of that old highway peels off from I-10 at exit 344, and passes to the south of Willcox until it rejoins Willcox some eight miles later. Along that strip are some buildings that used to be motels, back when 86 was the main drag thru town. I think that maybe one of them might still be in business but most of them folded, being overtaken by the chain hotels that are alongside I-10.

Whenever I drive by buildings like that, I can't help but think of what kind of stories those buildings would tell me if they could talk. They are from an era that is largely forgotten....an era of classic V-8 powered Chevrolets and Fords, and era of prosperity, an era where many of our greatest generation had been home from fighting the Nazis for a decade and were busy raising families.

The question I'm tempted to ask here, is what happened? Where did it all go?

Sometimes I ask that same question when I think about the 80s, the decade where I was launching my career and pursuing my aspirations. I'm still in my career, still pursuing aspirations, but sometimes there's this sense that some things are getting away from us, and I wonder if we'll be the better for it.

* * * * * * *


When I return home later this evening I've still got some work ahead of me, backing up photos and then getting in a little reading. Supper is also coming late as that I have not yet eaten aside from some light snacks. The computer repair place doesn't open until nine so I get a rare opportunity to sleep in......that is, to the extent that the cats will let me.

My cats are wonderful boys, but they like to manipulate the people that they own, and Moe especially can get quite vocal in the morning.

Whenever the food dish has one square inch of visible bottom surface, the cat considers the dish to be legally empty, and the cat reserves the right (and often exercises it) to let you know about it.

* * * * * * *

That's it for now. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment