Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday, 1/25/16

It's been really good to have been home these past several days.  I have done a lot of yardwork, a lot of reading, and there's been some movement on the employment front.

I had a telephone interview with a local firm this afternoon.  As far as I can tell it went well, but you don't really know until you get that call that asks you to come in for a face to face interview.  These phone calls are usually a screening of sorts, to see if you might be a fit.  I had to pass one before going to Texas and before going to Nevada.  I have no hard numbers as to the percentage of people who pass these, aside from the Texas employer stating that 10% of the phone screens make it to the next round.

And speaking of interviews, I may be having one on Saturday in Las Vegas.  I was talking to a friend of mine still at my former employer, and what's happening is that a small company in Texas that wants to orbit cubesats (micro satellites) wants to interview the people who laid off earlier this month, to the point to where they are sending some managers out.  They may be coming to Tucson to interview some more, as that three of us who were laid off have homes here.  As it is, I have to drive back tomorrow to take care of some things, and bring down another truckload of my personal items.  I was going to return on Friday, but that's being pushed back to Monday, so I don't have to fight the traffic returning to Phoenix on Sunday.

Also, I'm being courted to apply for some contract positions in Albuquerque as that someone out there needs engineers with experience in installing and testing equipment used in satellite ground stations, which I've done in Japan and San Diego.

My spirits this time around are a lot better than they were the last time I was going through this.  I have a peace of mind that I didn't have in the summer of '14.  No, the first few days of this weren't easy, but I just don't have the anxiety about things this time around.

Anyway, it's back to Trashcan for a few days.  I hope to have lunch with some friends that I have there, and I plan to treat myself to a visit Downtown to people watch.  I may also make a run up to Rhyolite for some more photography.

That's going to be it for this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment