Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A Forced Transition

This week my employer carried out a mass execution.  Fourteen new hires were laid off Monday morning one hour after reporting for work, and yesterday before closing 40 of us were let go.  We had been told in December that 2016 was going to be a growth year for the company and most of us went home for Christmas break not thinking anything abnormal was going to happen.  Events this week have proven otherwise, and a lot of us are in the process of undergoing forced transitions.

The type of business the company is engaged in is very risky, and all of us knew that.  A lot of us kept our homes in the states we came from, knowing that we might have to go back.  I even kept my Arizona driver license as that I wasn't sure how long my stay in Nevada was going to be. 

It goes without saying that we didn't like the outcome, but most of knew going in that this was always a possibility.  In one way it's numbing and in another way it's a relief.  I think this robs us of the opportunity to realize our full potential, and now we have to figure out how we can do that elsewhere.

I'll admit that last night was rough.  I did not sleep well in spite of possession of legally prescribed sleep aids that I sometimes use, and when I did sleep I had some dreams that were not to my liking.  I had some errands to do this morning and this afternoon and one of them was meeting with the pastor of the church I had been attending for several months.  That was a very good discussion and I'm glad we had that talk.

Tomorrow I begin the process of filing for unemployment.  Ron looked into it and I will qualify having been here for over a year.  I will have to transfer that to Arizona when I return to Tucson and resume the job search there.  I also have to start the process of breaking the lease and moving my things back to where they belong.  It will take two, and possibly three trips. 

What I look forward to most is living with my wife and family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment