Friday, October 31, 2014

The Fat Lady has Sung!

One week ago I was informed that I had a job offer being tendered to me by one of the potential employers that I had interviewed with.  Last Monday, after careful consideration, I accepted the offer.  I'm not yet ready to make it public with who.  Let's just say that I underwent the drug screening yesterday and today I started a vacation of sorts that I promised myself.

Sheila is staying in my house in Tucson, and I'm in a motel room in Banning, CA, this evening.  I'm going up to San Jose to visit my parents, Mark, and some other folks.  My stay there will not be for very long.  I need to be back in Tucson on the 8th as that a good friend there has invited us over for dinner to celebrate. 

My new position is going to be an exciting one, but does carry with it some risks.  I'll be working in the private spaceflight segment of the aerospace industry.  There have been two significant failures recently, one of them today, which is to say that the business isn't exactly an easy one.  Then again, it never has been.  It never was.  A lot of hard lessons were learned in the early days.  My concern right now is the available expertise.  Many engineers with the experience and know-how have been forced into early retirement and those replacing them are re-inventing a lot of wheels.  My new employer is picking up people who were downsized; my new boss was forced out a few years back.

In a strange twist, we both worked for the same company back in Silly-Con Valley, on the same projects, but we never crossed paths.  He knew of me and I knew of him.  I called Chip a few weeks back to ask about him, and was told that if he offers me a job to take it.......which I did.

My start date is being worked out and I won't know what it is for a week or so.

Also, I'll be relocating to the Las Vegas, Nevada area.  The plan is for me to be in an apartment for six months or so while Sheila gets my house ready for sale.  Tucson real estate isn't exactly the greatest right now and she may be down there for another six months after that.  We're preparing for the possibility that the house may not sell right away, but regardless, I'm putting some money into it to get it where we want it.

There's also the possibility that we may rent it out, and return to Tucson in five years or so to retire there.  Or, we might retire in Henderson, Nevada (I think we'll still check out Ely and possibly Pahrump).  There are some things I like about Nevada but there are others that I don't.  Vegas has the entertainment and the dining, but there are drawbacks.  One problem with big cities is that they have big city problems.  I have verified that the traffic/commute isn't all that bad as long as the Strip is not involved. 

There is more to tell, but that will have to wait for another time.

I've had my forced sabbatical, and I learned that I was not ready for retirement, though I'll admit that earlier this year the though of retiring was tempting.

My plans are to be in the workforce for several more years and then to go out when I'm ready to go out. 

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment