Friday, April 25, 2014

Just One Week....And I Already Have Computer Problems!

My computer commissioning was almost complete, except for hooking up my scanner.  So I plugged it in, loaded the software into the DVD/CD drive, and installed my scanner software.  Then I restarted, and guess what: my E drive, the DVD drive, wasn't even there!

The computer simply would not recognize it.  I restarted, and it was still not accessible.  So, I placed a call into HP tech support, and learned that HP already had a gotcha for me.

My warranty didn't cover software problems!  I had to buy a one year service agreement, reluctantly, over the phone, simultaneously with an online chat with the company they outsource to.  It was either that, or take some time off work which I can't get with my current assignment due to customer commitments to take the computer into some shop somewhere, so I was stuck.

They were able to fix the problem, and to tell me what it was.  I picked up some malware somewhere that had corrupted some drivers.  Yes, malware. 

HP, as part of their package, gave me McAfee, which once again, let malware slip by.  I'm stuck with McAfee at the moment due more to the way in which I'm connected to the net.  I'm going through a wireless router to connect to the net, and it's going to be this way until I can get a business day off from work so's that I can call CenturyLink, and go through my DSL, where I get Norton free of charge.  My next off day is one week from today, though I may take half a day on Thursday and take care of it then.  I only visit a handful of sites so I didn't think McAfee was that much of a risk.....but I was wrong.

Maybe I should see if CenturyLink has tech support on weekends.  Truth is, I don't like being tied up on the phone, so I'll have to take some blame in not having taken care of it yet.  I guess I'll have to bite the bullet on this one and call tomorrow.

The joke's not over yet.

My scanner won't work with the computer!  It doesn't play nice with the new OS!  So I'll have to shell out some bucks for a new scanner.  For right now, I'll reconnect it with the old XP and if I have to scan something, I still can.

One other bizarre mishap for today.  I made a visit to Safeway to stock up on weekend staples.  I loaded the purchases into the truck bed, and then closed the camper shell door......whereupon the glass in the camper shell door shattered into a zillion pieces.  I'm thinking, OK, this isn't as bad as a wheel coming off at 70 mph......but not good either.  I made a quick run to Tucson's only authorized SnugTop dealer, which is downtown. 

Fortunately I can still get parts for it (I've had the truck for 18+ years).  It will set me back five bills, but it's still cheaper than a new shell in its entirety.  The dealer wasn't sure at first if the parts were still made, but they are.

Things could have been worse, I guess.

I have reason to believe that they'll get better soon.

At least on one front.

No comments:

Post a Comment