Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Two More Weeks?

President Trump yesterday warned us that the next two weeks are going to be rough.  He is right in the sense that Organized Media will be very rough on us with the stories.  I've heard the projected death toll of 250,000, and I'm going to greet that with skepticism because the models that they use are not infallible and we've already seen a revision of what the predicted death toll will be in the United Kingdom.

How many times over the past few years have you seen where hurricanes are predicted to make landfall?  The best they can do is come up with a cone and then revise it several times each day.  The hurricane is pretty much going to go where it wants to go, and if there's an initial impact point that has been proven right then I'm not aware of it.

One thing that Organized Media absolutely positively refused to tell you.

How many people have recovered from this?

We're told how many cases have been recorded.  We're told how many fatalities have resulted.  There's still some debate over what the death rate actually is, and I've read where some of the eck-spurts are conceding that it just might be in the one per cent range.  But with the numbers that we now have, you'd think there would be a known recovery rate based on what we know so far, but why is that not being reported?

We know that there are risk factors.  I'm at a higher risk because of my age.  I'm aware of the need for social distancing and handwashing and all of that, but do I really need to go hide in a cave somewhere because of this?

Yes, I am avoiding public events.  I started doing that ten days before the first government mandate went out.  I'm washing my hands more frequently than I used to and I've now been recently known to open the door of convenience stores using a paper towel.  I'm going to call that prudent caution.

My problem here is that I suffer from a steep distrust of fatass politicians and Organized Media who enable them.  What will happen when this is over?  What are the consequences?

One consequence is that the public has now been conditioned to fear more than question.  Fear is very difficult to overcome, and I'm going to tell you that I am not immune to it.  I don't fear the virus, but I fear the loss of civil liberties and the willingness on the part of society to surrender them for a sense of security.

Is fear rational?  No, but concern is.  There is a Biblical proverb that says something like "a prudent man sees danger and takes refuge".  No sane person should attempt to argue against that.

But what if the danger is overstated?  I don't know if it is in this case or not.  If it turns out that this is not as bad as some want us to believe, that's good, but what will we learn from it?  Will we prepare for the next pandemic?

These are my thoughts at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment