Monday, April 20, 2020

And Yet Another Transition

Last Friday I was notified via email that I was being laid off.  Apparently the government customer has decided not to pay for the services of lead test engineers for third party certification of specialized radios.  No, I did not see this coming.  From what I can tell that decision was made a few weeks ago and my department manager tried to find work elsewhere for me, but to no avail as that one of the other test centers took a bad hit three months ago.

As it was, the government action officer and my employer have had an adversarial relationship from day one.  I can speculate as to why it was that way, but this blog really shouldn't be the place for that.  If I were to ask King Solomon why, he would say "I've seen this before.  There is nothing new under the sun". 

I am taking this well, but I will admit that sleeping at night has been a bit difficult to come by.  I kept myself very busy this weekend with ham radio activity, and when it's time to wind down for the night it's hard to wind down.  My mind goes into fifth gear.  I start strategizing my job search, I start thinking about what I'm going to do to the yard while I'm on down time, I start thinking about some other things that need doing around the house, and I'm frustrated that the state is still on a lockdown order. 

And now that the virus situation has come up, I'm wondering when this mess will be over.  Protests are erupting in some states and I learned that one is being planned for this state.  I'm very skeptical as that these measures are unprecedented........we've done far less for worse pandemics.  It's easy to suffer from the idea that the politicians and bureaucrats are trying to see how far they can go with us, and now pushback is happening.  My concern is that the next time something like this happens, there will be this eagerness on the part of some to shut this country down, not because they need to, but because they can.

Meanwhile, there are now reports of how China let this genie out of the bottle that seem plausible.  As I said last time, I don't think they bioengineered this.  They may very well have let this loose so that others could share in the misery.

I'm sure that more information will emerge in the time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment