Sunday, December 2, 2018

Sunday, 12/2/18

Yesterday news broke of the passing of former President George H.W. Bush.  I well remember his presidency and I remember voting for him twice.  His first year of office wasn't even completed when one major world event happened:  the Berlin Wall fell.  A year after that we found ourselves on the verge of beginning the operation to liberate Kuwait, after which he had an approval rating that topped 90%.  So what happened?

One, he went back on his promise of not raising taxes.  He caved, which was one beef I had with him.   Two, H. Ross Perot entered the race, which split the base and gave the election to Bill Clinton.  Ross Perot said a lot of things that people wanted to hear, but when it became apparent that he might win, he went off about Cubans.  I can never be convinced that Perot wanted to win, but I very easily believe that he had a vendetta against the Republicans.

That said, I think Bush 41 was one of the better Presidents.  He wasn't the best in my lifetime, but he was up there.

I hope that both he and Barbara are with the Lord.


* * * * * * *

Well it's December already.  Like it does every year, it snuck up on us, and all of a sudden we're wondering where the time went.  It's been one of those years.  I can't call it good or bad.  It was a year to get through and that's all that I can call it.  I still am in mourning over the passing of my father, and I'm still processing that trial where I served on the jury.

I'm debating on whether or not to open up a little and vent about that experience.  The venting would be more of what happened, why that kind of crime had to occur, that I spent three weeks hearing testimony and looking at evidence and glancing over on occasion to the accused and realized that I was looking at someone who could do such a thing.

No, I don't get nightmares about it, though I still on occasion dream that I'm back on that jury, deliberating, or there was something else that had to be brought up, and the jury gets recalled to go over things once more.

Why did that have to happen?  What was going on in the mind of the guy we found guilty?  Is there ever going to be any kind of remorse on his part?


* * * * * * *

One more month and we're done for the year.

I'd like to think that the one that's coming is going to ease off somewhat, and be more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment