Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Time for Some Tunes!

We did this kind of post once before, and I think it's time to do it again:  a selection of tunes that I hope you will enjoy as much as I do.  These are all YouTube links; if you want to come back to this blog you'll have to hit that "return" arrow that's in your browser.

I apologize for any ads that you're forced to endure.  In picking these out, I have tried to select links where there aren't any ads, but the Google Boyz have a way of sneaking them in there anyway.  Look at the bright side......they didn't make you pay to come here, or to watch these.
 
* * * * * * *

Our first selection for this evening is from Randy Bachman.  I've linked to it before in a previous post, but I thought it would be a good leadoff for this collection.  Its' from his Survivor album, released in 1978, and it's the leadoff track.  You might notice a Beach Boys influence in this one.

Just a Kid

* * * * * * *

Next up is April Wine.  This is track #2 off of their Harder....Faster.... album, which was released in 1979.  This was released as a single in 1980 in Canada as well as stateside.  I think it's better known up there than down here.  It's a longtime favorite of mine.

Say Hello
 
* * * * * * *

The third selection for this evening is from the Smithereens.  This is a interesting song, in my opinion.  Well structured, with an interesting concept about having to leave something behind.

House We Used to Live In
 
* * * * * *

The fourth song is a classic from Foreigner.  It was one of Hal's favorite tunes due to its science fiction theme.  It remains in Foreigner's set list to this day, testifying to its staying power. 

Starrider

* * * * * * *

The next tune is one that comes from an album that I do not own, and I'm going to have to get off of my sitting end to rectify that situation.  From north of border, where a lot of good music comes from, we have Kim Mitchell!

Lager and Ale

* * * * * * *

Now we're at side two, and the first track for side two has to come from a vinyl album that had its song positioned at side two, right?  That's how I see it.

So..........this next one is from Tom Petty's solo effort Full Moon Fever, from 1989.  This is one of my favorite albums. 

Feel A Whole Lot Better

* * * * * * *

This next one is a bit difficult to play on guitar, and if you don't believe me then give it a try and let me know how you make out.  Its claim to fame is that it was the B-side to the BTO single "Let it Ride".  It is from the album Bachman-Turner Overdrive II, released December 1973.

Tramp
 
* * * * * * *

This next song is an old classic from Creedence Clearwater Revival. 
 

* * * * * * *

This next one is what you call a song.  As Greg Kihn would say, they don't write 'em like that anymore.  I'd like to think that I can write one like this.  It's from one of the best albums ever recorded, American Woman, by The Guess Who.

Proper Stranger

* * * * * * *

Our final song this evening is from the Smithereens.  One this one we have a rare vocal by Jim Babjak.  And I'll admit, this one has influenced a song that I've co-written that's called "Junkyard Road".  "Junkyard Road", of course, is the closing track of the first album that we did, that hasn't been recorded yet.  Maybe one day it'll be on YouTube.

Anyway.........I thought of this song when I was doing yesterday's post.  I like not only the song but I wish this burger chain would open up here in Tucson.

White Castle Blues


* * * * * * *
 
That's all folks!
 
 
Don't forget to pet a dog or a cat!




No comments:

Post a Comment