Saturday, November 27, 2010

Odds and Ends, 11/27/10.

Our hunting trip was cut short the very next day.  When we woke up the next morning, we discovered that Todd had a flat tire on his Explorer, so we went out in my truck.  We returned to N-O Canyon but this time there weren't any wildlife sightings.  We went back to where we were staying, Todd changed the tire, and we called it a year.

We do know that we want to hunt that same unit again, and I'm sure that will be choice #1 on next year's tag application.

* * * * * * *

Thursday was Thanksgiving, and I was up and Todd and Annette's.  We had a really good time.  It's too bad that this holiday only comes around once a year.

Annette did a fantastic job on the turkey and the rest of the meal (with some help on the stuffing from daughter Amber).  Me, all I could do was bring a bottle of wine and a pumpkin pie bought from the catering company who services our cafeteria.  Both pie and wine were good too.

We also watched some football.  I'm not much of a football watcher, but the Saints/Cowboys game was holding our attention.  By all rights the Saints should have wiped up the field with the Cowboys, but that's not how it happened.

Both teams made their fair share of mistakes.  I could tell that the winner was going to be the team that did not make the last mistake.  It went down to the wire, but the Saints pulled it thru.  They nearly beat themselves.

I'll say this for the Cowboys:  they put up a good fight.

* * * * * * *

With Thanksgiving behinds us, the retailers are already reminding us that it's time for us to go out and buy gifts for everyone else.  Turkey Day itself was chock full of ads reminding us to get our wives/girlfriends diamond jewelry and a brand new luxury car in the driveway.

Right.  Like we've all got that kind of money.

I guess in a way we do; we can run up charge cards and debt like crazy, creating money out of thin air, and worry about the consequences later.

After all, it's what the government's been doing for years.

* * * * * * *

I have continued with the science fiction reading.  I'm on the third book of the "Caliban" trilogy by Roger MacBride Allen.  It's a series of novels set in the Asimov universe, with the story outlines themselves having been blessed by ole Isaac himself before he left us.

I'll admit there was a bit of trepidation on my part as to whether or not I should read these.  When I was in Portland, I picked up the first of the trilogy (I already had the other two) and I started reading it there.  I was engrossed in it; I had the first one finished in two days.

I've since read the second and I'm well into the third, and I'm enjoying them.  I don't think these three books are in print right now, but if you're an Asimov fan you'll want to pick them up.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

* * * * * * *

There are a few undercurrents of a rather personal nature that are right now churning beneath the surface of what has been a relatively calm sea in my life.  I won't say what's on my mind right now or fill you in on what's been going on.  I am blessed to have the counsel of my friend Mark in this matter, and I'll be drawing upon a few others before this latest situation runs its course.

What I am learning is that life can and will present you with situations where it is a bit of a challenge to make up your mind on some things.

Regardless, I am content with my present situation.

Again, if I may steal that line from Randy Bachman, "That's what it is."

You know, I really identified with some of the songs he wrote/played with BTO in 1975, and I'm identifying with that new one that's now with us some 35 years later.

I couldn't have picked a better band to be a fan of back in my high school years.

* * * * * * *

I probably should write the Christmas letter tomorrow, but I'll be honest.  I don't feel like doing that just yet.

I instead want to get my .25-06 out to the rifle range for some target practice.

* * * * * * *

I'm done now.

Don't forget to pet a dog or a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment