Saturday, November 13, 2010

Deer Hunting, Willcox AZ

Todd and I are in Willcox, Arizona this evening.  We drove down yesterday and checked into the Days Inn and this morning we were out looking for deer.  This is our first time hunting in Unit 32, and we like what we see so far, even though we didn't spot any bucks.

We decided to check out the Allen Flats area, and spotted a doe and her yearling fawn crossing at Muleshoe Road.  We watched them for about five minutes, after which they disappeared into some brush.  We continued on, pulling off at N-O Canyon.  First off we spotted a coyote trying to get a drink from a watering hole.  He changed his mind about that when he saw us.  Further up the canyon we spotted two more coyotes, both of which quickly disappeared over a ridge to the north of us.

We drove back to town for lunch, but first conversed with another pair of hunters who gave us some tips on where to locate deer.  While on Muleshoe Road near mile marker 4 we spotted a herd of antelope!  There were 20, maybe 25 animinals in that herd, and they were clearly spooked by us.....though they did stop to look back at us.  We watched them thru binoculars before they ran off.  I didn't know there was an antelope herd near Willcox.  I know there's one near Sonoita but neither of us have any desire to go after antelope, not that it matters, since Game & Fish does not issue very many antelope tags for southern Arizona.

We went back to N-O Canyon for the afternoon posting.  Hunter pressure there was light.  We glassed the southern facing slope extensively but no deer were sighted.  Right at sunset I spotted a coyote.  I'll never forget that sight.  He was silhouetted right against the skyline.  He was a good 600 yards away and I never would have seen him without optics.  He was scoping out the area too.  He disappeared and then re-appeared, though that second sighting might have been a second coyote.  I think there's a good chance that it might have been that same pair we spotted earlier this morning.

Deer season continues thru Thursday, though tomorrow will be our last day out.  Todd needs to get back home tomorrow night, so tomorrow afternoon's attempt will be last until next year.

From a wildlife sighting standpoint, it's been excellent.  I'll admit that I'm glad that we were out there again this afternoon.  Seeing the coyote(s) at sunset was a neat experience.  Yeah, I've seen more here than I can remember, but seeing one out in the wild like that is something you'll never forget.

I'm tired, so I'll sign for now, but not without mentioning two restaurants in Willcox.  One is La Salsa Fiesta Mexican restaurant.  That's right off of I-10, exit 340, Rex Allen Drive.  It was my second time there and last night's meal was one of the best Mexican I've had in some time. 

This evening we went to Big Tex's BBQ near the intersection of Maley & Haskell (Haskell is the old Arizona 86 that served as the main drag in the pre-I-10 days).  I had the Albuquerque Burger and it was a good choice. 

OK, I'll mention a third place.  There's that pie place north of I-10 and its name escapes me as I write this.  Their pies are too good to be legal.  I may stop off there before heading out.

We're having lots of fun, but it would be nice to be bringing home some venison.  Hunter success is about 20%.  It's a difficult state to hunt in, mainly because of terrain.  But we have fun making the attempt.

OK, this time, I'll really sign.

Don't forget to pet a dog or a cat.

1 comment: