Sunday, May 28, 2023

Forty Years Ago Today

Forty years ago today I graduated from San Jose State University with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.  An offer of employment had already been accepted, and I was taking a few weeks off to visit the Los Angeles area as well as San Diego/Tijuana before starting my career on the 20th of June.  It was an exciting time and one of my neatest memories.

I could not have imagined at that time that I would be closing out my career in Tucson.  My game plan then had been to get my start in Silicon Valley and then move to Florida.  Of course, that move never did happen, but I did get out of Silicon Valley when two very serious adverse events happened, and I have now lived longer in Tucson than anywhere else, and that's even factoring in my year-plus exile in Las Vegas.

There have been a lot of twists and turns along the way.  I have seen the industry undergo two major contractions, and I'm figuring that the next one will be within ten years.  And at that time the plan is to be comfortably retired.  I could be wrong on that, and it will not be any kind of blow on my ego if I turn out to be wrong.

While I'm here writing this, I may create some side pages for this blog.  I have a ham radio blog where I got that figured out, and I'm thinking about doing that here too.  I may put up a page with scans of world banknotes that are in my collection, and I may put up some pages regarding family history.  The Parker and Pilkington lines are drawing a lot of my interest, as well as some others.  

I know, no one reads this blog, and I'm good with that, but the intent is to create a historical record that may be of interest to someone somewhere off in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment