Monday, January 18, 2021

Remaining Positive When Some Don't Want You To

 There has been quite a bit to digest over these past few weeks.  I feel like I'm in some sort of alternate universe, watching theater that Tom Clancy himself couldn't have imagined putting into one of his novels, and wondering what's next.  I can guess at what's next but again, I am not in the prediction business, even if I might have a better batting average than Sylvia Browne did.

Casting all of that aside, I have been concentrating on my blessings.  Many are the times when Sheila and I are upstairs laying on the bed, and mentioning how blessed we are.  We've had an expensive plumbing repair here.  I will be needing some surgery soon for one issue, and I'll know more about that in a few days.  And we are extensively blessed!

My job is going well.  I'm more entrenched into the quasi-management position of Lead Test Engineer.  My direct report is to program management and the program chief engineer.  I know that they're glad that I am on board, but I can't take that for granted.  Every day I have to do something to make them glad they hired me.  Every day I have to go to bed a little bit less ignorant.  Right now I have a hot project, but I also have help with it. 

What has changed is that we're no longer putting in overtime, and I have spare time again.  I've been spending it on ham radio, listening to distant AM stations at night, listening to air traffic on my 2 meter handheld (it can also function as a scanner) and I've been doing some reading as well.  

I also have been doing some cooking.  I have a weakness for curry dishes and there is more than one type of dish that I do.  Sometimes it's a golden curry from scratch and other times it's based on a red Thai curry paste, or butter chicken, or korma curry.  I also do chili from scratch, which always manages to taste better on the next day.  

As for COVID, we're getting a spike here in Arizona.  To my knowledge the curfew has been extended but I haven't seen anything on the local news that says it has.  I am remaining home to the extent that cabin fever will allow and even if I do go out I don't go out far.  I personally know people who have been exposed to it and I already know a fatality.  Uncle Joe's going to need all the luck he can get on this one.  

That's pretty much it.  I have no complaints.  Yes, I could invent a few, but today won't be the day for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment