Monday, February 18, 2019

Global Warming? Not Here.

Some winters down here are mild.  The last three were.  This one isn't.  We had snow earlier this month, which can and does happen in Tucson, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happens again this week.

We've had cold temperatures, and rain......a lot of rain as far as a February goes.  It's drizzling outside as I write this.  We had some last Friday.  We have another installment this coming Friday.  And once again, we're in for some freeze warnings this year.

Last year about this time, we had a few days where it was in the lower 80s.  I remember talking to another ham in Cold Lake, Alberta.  He told me what the weather was doing there and yes, Cold Lake was living up to its name.  When he turned it over to me, I said "Mike, you might not want to hear this, but it's 80 Fahrenheit right now".  I explained that those temps were unusual for Tucson in February. 

I haven't talked to him since.  The three Alberta hams I've talked to have been great guys; one of them I've chatted with a few times and he has relatives down here in Tucson. 


* * * * * * *

There's been some chaos at work.  The customer I'm supporting has abruptly decided that there won't be any environmental testing for a unit we're supplying them that monitors other aircraft components.  I was told today I'm being furloughed for one month, though there's a possibility of my returning to help out another customer we have in Oro Valley. 

To be honest, I could use some time off......but not a whole lot of time off.  I have a week's worth of ham radio projects to work on.  Two of these are antenna related.  And I need to work on the coin collection some.

When our Phoenix customer decides they want my services again, then my employer will have to make a decision on who gets me if I'm tied up in Oro Valley.  My preference at this point is the Oro Valley gig, even though the commute is a pain.  (I support the Phoenix customer from our business office right here in Tucson).  I have a very good friend working there in OV and we and our wives get together once a month or so for a Saturday night dinner. 

As it is though, my employer will put me where they need me the most, and our Phoenix customer lacks the expertise in environmental testing.  It's also possible that my furlough may be delayed as that I might be needed for an odd job.

I wouldn't mind a situation where I work three months, and then take one month off.   I could do that for the next five years.  That's not how it works, as that we're task-driven and work at the whim of our customer(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment