Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Favorite Silicon Valley Attraction (and more)

I've been up here in San Jose for almost a week.  There has been a lot to do in terms of people to visit and necessary family things that need to be done.  Until today I haven't had the opportunity to go out and visit a place purely for pleasure, until this afternoon.

The place that I visited was Weird Stuff Warehouse in Sunnyvale.  I've known about this place for several years and visited it a few times when I was living and working here.  It's a museum of old abandoned surplus computers and peripherals, except that if you come across an exhibit that you really like, you can purchase it and take it home.  I've gotten an old computer monitor there before, and a power supply for use in some electronics experiments, even though I've built a power supply.

I was telling myself that I needed to drop in look around when I got up here, and before meeting Franz and his new bride for dinner I did just that.

I wanted to spend more time hanging around, and maybe my next visit here I will.  I picked up a surplus surge protector that I intend to use in my garage, because during this sabbatical I see spending some time in my garage doing some more experimenting.

I have it in mind to build a low power transmitter for ham radio use, though the idea of building an FM radio transmitter is also lurking back in the recesses of my mind.

* * * * * * *

The drive up here last week was a blessing, in the sense that it was uncomplicated.  Oh, the luggage key did break in the Samsonite suitcase that I bought, so I had to wear the same clothes on day two of my drive here, but fortunately my parents had a Samsonite key.

I don't normally lock my suitcases, but I had to before leaving Quartzsite, in order to comply with California's laws regarding transport of a firearm.  I couldn't get my gun case to lock, so I locked up my revolver in the main luggage.

Now the gun case is locking, and the revolver is safely there, until I'm back across the state line in Arizona.

There's no doubt that California's laws cause great inconvenience to the gang members whenever they transport their guns, but everyone knows that they don't want any trouble with the police so they very much cheerfully comply.

* * * * * * *

This was my first time meeting Franz' wife Diane.  My regret was that Sheila wasn't there to meet them too.

I think Franz did as well as I did in getting the wife that he got.

* * * * * * *

I'm already homesick and missing Tucson.  I wanted to leave Friday but rain is in the forecast, and I don't like having to go through Pacheco Pass in that kind of weather.  So, it looks like I'm out of here on Saturday, but if it rains then I'll be here a while longer.  I may not want to leave on a Sunday and thus have to share the road with those nice wonderful super-considerate southern California drivers on their way back to the smogberry trees in Los Angeles, so I may hang around here a while longer.

* * * * * * *

I guess that I'm supposed to comment on the latest in the Presidential campaign, and about what Trump said some 20 years ago when he had no idea he would run for President.

I'm not going to defend what he said.  I'm convinced that he regrets it, just as I regret saying some things I said back in junior high, high school, or college.  Yes, I have skeletons in my closet too.  As do you.

What gets me is that those who are going to great lengths to appear genuinely outraged about this can't wait to vote for the wife of a serial rapist.

* * * * * * *

I'm thinking that I will be in San Jose again for Thanksgiving, and possibly also for Christmas.

I don't particularly like San Jose, but I spent several years here and in one way this place is part of my being.  I got my degree here and I came away with some lifelong friends.

This place isn't a trashcan, though I do frequently think the state is as morally bankrupt as they are financially.

No comments:

Post a Comment