Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm in the Mood for Some Music Tonight

I'm taking tomorrow off by necessity.  When driving my truck yesterday my clutch slipped, which means that it's up on the rack tomorrow getting fixed.  So tomorrow is going to be a vacation day, and since I don't have to be at work tomorrow I get to stay up later than usual.  I may post an entry tomorrow, I may not, but when you have a day off you may as well make the most of it......and that includes the evening before the day off.

I like good tunes, and am partial to some of those more obscure tunes that aren't exactly fixtures on the radio but are, in my mind, some good tunes.  So I'm going to present a selection of some favorites and I hope that you will take to the time to listen to them.

* * * * * * *

The first tune this evening will be from April Wine.  You may have heard this one before.  It broke back in 1981.

What makes this one interesting is the bridge, which is preceded by "I Don't Care" times three.  The drumming is especially good in the bridge, at 1:39 into the song.

All Over Town

* * * * * * * 

The next tune is from Creedence Clearwater Revival.  It's a fun one to play on guitar.  It's from their second album, Bayou Country.


* * * * * * *

Song #3 is from the Smithereens, from an album released in 1986.

Groovy Tuesday

* * * * * * *

This next tune is off of one of the best albums ever recorded, American Woman by The Guess Who.  When several original members reunited for a tour in 2000, this song was in the set.

Talisman


* * * * * * *

You remember those old vinyl LPs, don't you?  If this were an LP this would be the last song on the A side, which was sometimes song #5, or song #4.  This evening it will be song #5.

This one is track #5 off of Foreigner's debut album, which is called Foreigner.  The lyrics in this one, in my opinion, are amazing.

The Damage is Done


* * * * * * * 

Now we're on the B side of what this "album" would be if this were an album I was playing for you.

My Canadian readers may know this song while my stateside readers likely won't know it.  I wouldn't have known about this had it not been for April Wine covering this song.  It pointed me to a jazz/blues band out of Vancouver that I hope to see one day.  That band is the Powder Blues Band, and I've got a few of their records that I picked up when I visited Vancouver in 1988.

Doin' It Right

* * * * * * *

This next song has been a longtime favorite of mine for over 30 years.  It's a song that was written by Fred Turner, and I've had a chance to discuss this one with him when we were talking after a BTO concert in 2001.  It's been a longtime favorite of other BTO fans as well, and believe you me, we begged Fred to place this into the setlist.

Fred told me that it wasn't as well known as the other BTO songs, and the promoters only wanted to do the better known songs.  Thus, it never made it into the setlist.

I've been known to make ladies that I've contemplated getting serious with to listen to this song.

I consider it to be one of the best songs ever recorded.  I hope you feel the same way about it.

Madison Avenue

* * * * * * *

We're going across the pond for this next tune.  It's from Emerson Lake & Palmer, and it's an instrumental (for the most part) from their Works Volume I album.  Joe Walsh makes a guest appearance on guitar (and vocals towards the end).

L.A. Nights

* * * * * * *

Here's a song that has some road trip memories for me.  I heard it on the radio while I was in British Columbia in 1990, and I'm going to guess that I was on TransCan 1 in/near Abbotsford and that I was listening to an FM station out of Vancouver.  CFOX?

I think my next ime on Amazon, I'll be ordering the CD that this one came off of.  Kim Mitchell has been growing on me as of late.

Patio Lanterns

* * * * * * *

Deciding what the final song for a post such as this can be difficult, but that wasn't the case this evening.  I knew before I started this post what the last song of the evening would be.  It's one of the best songs ever recorded, and if I were to be in a local band here I would insist that this one be part of the set.  It's from Deep Purple.

Space Truckin'

* * * * * * *

Don't forget to pet a dog or a cat.









No comments:

Post a Comment