Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Year Day! 2/29/12

Well now.....we only get this once every four years.....Leap Year Day, the 29th of February!

I have tried to remember these days as they come along, trying to burn them into my memory.  In 1972 I was in junior high school and home sick that day.  In 1976, I was in San Jose, and it was an overcast day.  In 1980, I can't remember what happened on that day, nor can I for 1984.

On Leap Year Day 1988, I became a satellite engineer.  It was day one for getting to do something I had wanted to do: work on a communications satellite.  It was one of your more advanced ones too, and I could not have imagined just how much I would end up learning about satellites.  Years later a ham radio club asked me to do a presentation on satellites and I really had a lot of fun doing that.

I can't remember much of Leap Year Day 1992, 2000, 2004, or 2008.  They must have been non-descript.  I do remember the one in 1996.  I was still a satellite engineer but this time I was in my first week at a new employer, and soon would be boarding a plane for Japan to meet the customer.

This year?  Well today I guess would be non-descript.  I went to work, attended some meetings, ended up getting more work dumped on me, and put in a longer day than usual.  The longer day was by design as that I don't want to burn PTO for my PT appointment on Friday.

Anyway.....Happy Leap Year Day everyone!  Make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment