Sunday, October 24, 2010

To Portland and Back

Last weekend was the occasion for my annual trip to Portland.....the one in Oregon, that is.  Maybe some day I'll make to the one that's in Maine, but the one in Oregon is the one that I go to and I think I've now been there eight or nine times.

My flight left Tucson at 6:00 AM.  I took Southwest Airlines this time, mainly because Southwest doesn't charge for checked baggage.  Southwest also has the reputation of getting you where you need to go and getting you there on time, and they've never failed me in that regard.  You're not going to get an assigned seat from them, which at first I didn't like but now I think it's great that you have that option.  If you're walking down the aisle and you see some weirdo sitting at the window, you don't have to sit next to him if you're on Southwest.....unless of course, you're the last one on and that's the only seat available.

The flight landed at Las Vegas later that morning.  I've passed thru more airports than I can remember, but this was my first time at McCarran International Airport.  Yes, it's true, they have slot machines there.  I don't like to admit that I use these machines, but that morning I played a machine, set it to 1 cent plays, and walked away $2.00 richer.  You just have to know when to say when.

I found myself at PDX, that is, Portland International Airport right around noon.  I rented with Avis this time, and  I can't remember the make and model of the car that I got stuck with but I have to say that it was satisfactory in all respects except for one:  the brakes were squeaking, and with only 13 kilomiles on the odometer I figured that the manufacturer (now that I think about it it was a Chevy) has some problems with either their quality control, their reliability engineering, or both.  (OK, I have to digress.....in 2003 I was working with a former GM reliability engineer and he was the tops in his field.  He taught me a lot about reliabliltiy predicitons in digital circuits.  I don't think he wrote any books, but he should have....he knew that much).

After picking up my rental car, I made my way to Powell's Used Book Store in downtown Portland.  If you're ever in Portland, this place is a "must see".  Imagine a five story bookstore taking up a whole city block....well, that's Powell's.  And across the street from them is Powell's Technical Books, with new and used books in every technical field imaginable.  I filled in some holes in my want list with that visit (some sci-fi titles), and around 4:00 PM I was at the residence of Ken & Gillian and family.

They are all doing very well!  My godson, Alexander, is now 11.  Meredith is I think 13 this year (or will turn 13) and Felicity is 15, or will turn 15.  It's really been neat watching them grow up, and watching them practice their God-given talents on musical instruments.

The next day, Friday, saw me at Powell's again.  I know, I can't help myself in a used book store.  We have a chain in Arizona called Bookman's, and you'll see me there too, but Powell's is the undisputed granddaddy of used book stores.  I picked up a copy of Dracula which I read back in high school, and a new one called The Ruin of the Roman Empire.  I'm going to have to stop visiting bookstores so that I can work on the backlog of what's waiting to be read......and that's not a bad problem to have.

After my Powell's visit, I had lunch with Ken, and we had a neat discussion on the Universe where we discussed our beliefs in how it was created.  I wish Lynette's son Austin had been there to hear this discussion, and I'm also wishing it had now been recorded.  I could go further here, but that's beyond the scope of this trip report.

Saturday Ken and I went to the Portland Zoo, and later on we went bowling with Alexander, and Alexander's friend Gavin.  Gavin was very well-behaved, just like Alexander.  I think Alexander is hanging around with some very good people.

Sunday it was church, but on this occasion I did not get to meet my namesake.  He may have been off in Nigeria doing some mission work.  The pastor delivering the sermon though was a namesake to a famous drummer, that being Carl Palmer of Emerson Lake & Palmer fame.  Anyway, this Carl Palmer delivered a good message.

After church it was the Cedar Mills Cider Festival, which is an annual event for that weekend in October.  There's nothing like sipping on cider from fresh-pressed apples.  All of us walked back to Ken's house save for Gillian, who had to attend a church meeting.  It was a good walk and a means to burn off some calories.

On Monday I returned home, getting back here around 8:30ish.  I had to connect in Las Vegas again, and on the return leg home I walked off from this one slot machine some $4.85 richer.  Again, that was a case of knowing when to say when, but I also think that the outcome on that one would have been different in an adverse way if I had played dollars that time instead of nickels.

I've now been home for a few days, the Arizona weather is great, and we are now heading into fall.

Next weekend I'll be in Phoenix on Saturday, as that I've accepted an invitation for a Halloween party.  Costumes are optional, which is good, as that I'm not one to dress up for Halloween.  I think it's great that other people do that, but for me, well it's just not me.

I'd personally rather have people dress up for Halloween than to go out and rob liquor stores.

I think that's going to be it for now.

Don't forget to pet a dog or a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment