Wednesday, June 9, 2010

To San Jose and Back

Last Friday Lynette and I flew out to San Jose. The one in California, that is (there's one in Costa Rica too). The occasion was my niece Isabelle's #6 birthday party, but the prime motivation was to introduce Lynette to my family, and they to her. That trip had a way of sneaking up on us in the same manner that most trips do.

There you are, minding your own business, and you know that you've got a trip coming up. OK, you know it's coming, but you're still minding your own business. Eventually it hits you two days before that you need to start packing, and you'd better pack then because if you don't then you'll find out about the laundry that you need to do before you can pack your bag. I mean, most of us like to travel with clean clothes, and even if you're visiting family members it's still good form to wear clean clothes.

Yes, there was a frantic preparation period, and I was up until one in the morning on Wednesday night trying to get ready. I have class on Wednesday nights and the laundry needed doing. Even though I wasn't going to climb on board the plane until Friday morning I still needed to leave for Queen Creek on Thursday afternoon/evening. My frantic period was a little on the intense side, and I felt overwhelmed.

Anyway, when we arrived in San Jose, we were met at the airport by my parents, and I think my parents and Lynette ended up having an instant liking for each other. That's really good, because I think that whoever it is that you're contemplating marrying is going to have to "fit in", so to speak. I knew Lynette would, but there's still having to see it for yourself.

We returned yesterday, and regrettably, there wasn't time to see any tourist attractions aside from Santa Cruz. We did get to visit with Mark & Xiuwen, as well as Chip, Gabriela and Violeta.

It was good being there.

I don't miss living in San Jose one bit. I lived there for sixteen years and seven years in Santa Cruz, and I do not miss the crowds, the traffic, the high taxes, and the killer commutes.

I do miss the people there that I know, and I try to get back there from time to time.

As for meeting family members, we're not done yet.

On the 30th we get back on the plane, and this time we meet her family members in Illinois and Wisconsin. I'm looking forward to that, as that midwest food has this freshness to it that you can't get anywhere else in the country, and it's nice to see something different.

And for Lynette.......well........I'm still in awe of what a great find she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment