Monday, November 16, 2009

The State of the World as it is on Monday, 11/16/09

News from Iowa is that Uncle Tony will be undergoing open-heart surgery tomorrow. He will have a new valve put in and if necessary, a bypass will also be performed. He is 87 years old and it must be scary for him and for his family to be undergoing this.

I can't help but wonder what would have been happening to Tony if Obamacare were under effect right now. I think some bureaucrat would have concluded that Tony is too old for this surgery, so why waste a surgeon's skill on him? Never mind that Tony was off fighting the Nazis in his younger years. Never mind him raising three talented children, who all are working in various areas of the dental field. Never mind that he was a good husband to my aunt Marge and helped my dad out on something more than half a century ago (I don't know the details of that; very likely a private matter).

Enough about politics.

* * * * * * *

I had my first post-Kathleen date over the weekend. This chain of events was set in motion about three, maybe four weeks ago when I "unhid" my profile on Match and snuck in a clue about how I could be reached by email. Within a day or two of doing that, I was contacted by a lady that I will only identify as Debbie (I don't disclose last names here except on very rare occasions or if the person is famous.) There was an email exchange of about three weeks or so. We spoke on the phone Friday. We met at an Italian restaurant on Saturday.

I really liked her. I found her to be very attractive and she was very good company. Thing of it is, is that it was really hard to tell if the chemistry was really there. I was really hoping that she would have wanted to adjourn to a dance floor that was up the road by a few miles, but I didn't think that I would get away with that suggestion, so we said goodbye in the parking lot.

I haven't heard from her since then. I'm not sure that I should write or call. My own thinking is that more time would have been needed to really know, but experience tells me she would have been another Dyanna.......great company, attractive, and fun.........but no special magic.

Since unhiding my profile on Match, I have gotten lots of email from them encouraging me to become a paid member. I get told about how someone looked at my profile and was checking me out. Well, just because someone was looking at your profile doesn't mean that they're really interested. I've checked out plenty of profiles myself. Some of them just flat out remind me of an April Wine song......"looks good from far.....but it's far from good".

Anyway, with Debbie, I'm taking no further action. Now that this is a closed chapter, I'm making it public here.

Maybe it's time to see if this one chick up in Phoenix who's on eHarmony is interested.

* * * * * * *

I am really wishing that I had bought more gold when it was $300 an ounce. As the present administration is continuing the work of the previous administration in destroying the dollar, gold is reaching for record highs these days. It's in the mid 1100s right now.

Is it really going to reach $2000 an ounce?

I'm thinking of buying two ounces, and selling one of those ounces in case it does reach $2K.

Then again, it might be wiser to hold on to it. In trying to determine what the money supply is by reading the Fed's website, they have three different definitions.....as if they really don't want you to know how much money is out there.

But no matter which set of numbers you look at, with the multitrillion dollar debt and deficits in front of us, they'll just print more even if the dollar goes the way of the Italian lira.

I'll never forget handing over 4000 lira to buy a soda when I was in Rome in 1995. I'll have to check, but I think a century ago there was a 20 lira coin that contained 0.1867 ounces of gold.

* * * * * * *

Last night I checked out the remake of "The Prisoner" on the AMC channel. I've long been a fan of the original series that Patrick McGoohan starred in. This remake? Well, I was only able to last twenty minutes.

The original series is just fine. It shouldn't be messed with.

* * * * * * *

Time now for some supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment